Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Larry Walters' Can Fly!

Yes, sometimes I get lonely. And sometimes I cry really, really hard.
But for the most part I'm happy. And I want to remain that way.
I consider myself a bouncer. And this is a happy post filled with what
I would consider happy, inspiring thoughts.

This photo happens to be my new computer background. Besides
just being really cool, its got a really cool story to go with it.

Once upon a time there was a man named Larry Walters. Larry was
a truck driver who had never been able to fulfil his dream of being a pilot
due to his poor eyesight. I am sure Larry sat around on his lawn chair
for several years feeling sorry for himself. When one day Larry decided
enough was enough. He hooked up 45 helium filled weather balloons to
his lawn chair, grabbed a pellet gun, a PBJ, and a six pack of beer and
shot up to sixteen thousand feet. I can imagine his feeling of exhilaration.


Sixteen thousand feet in a lawn chair over Los Angeles!

Unfortunately, he drifted into the primary approach corridor of Long
Beach Airport. Yes, Larry was in trouble. After about 45 minutes in the
air he shoot down several balloons with his gun before accidentally dropping
it overboard and landed on some power lines. This blacked out an entire
neighborhood. The FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) fined him
$1,500 and cited him for "operating a civil aircraft for which there is not
currently in effect an airworthiness certificate."


You know what he said when asked why he did it?


This is good.


"A man can't just sit around."


Ada boy Larry.

Larry did without knowing what would happen. He did it despite
the dangers and his poor eyesight and people telling him no.
His message from 16,000 feet up was: "I did it! I'm flying."
Most of us do just sit around dreaming, wishing, hoping, and
waiting for the good things to come our way.
And then there are those few who find ways to make their dreams
work. There are those who have the spirit to do that which is scary, and
deemed impossible.

What kind of person are you?

6 comments:

Kaleena J. said...

Great read!

Kaleena J. said...

I get lonely too sometimes, and it does make me feel better to cry a little.

Laura Wynn said...

This is so incredible, it made me want to jump up out of my chair and do something awesome!! I hope and pray that I'm the sort that somehow can make my dreams come true. I'm working on it, so I guess that counts :) Thanks for the *amazing* story Kendra.

Sabriel said...

this is beautiful! you are wonderful Kendra.

Taylor said...

Check out your Thursday Ten :)

Holly Knitlightly said...

That is SUCH an awesome story! Love it!