Monday, September 27, 2010

Someone Worth Thinking About

In grade school we had to make paper-mache masks of
famous people and do a little presentation on them.

My person has been in my thoughts recently.
She grew up in an entirely different part of the world than I in
Yugoslavia. She was a Catholic nun who lived in poverty in India.
And among the riches of the world, in a glittering hall of velvet, gold,
and crystal, among people dressed in tuxes and elaborate gowns,
she was honored in her simple sari and sandals for simply doing the
best she knew how in the place she found herself.
Mother Teresa, servant of the poor, sick, and dying, received the longest
standing ovation in the history of the Nobel Peace Prize.
She had the best weapon against the evil and heartache of the world:
a deep, caring, trusting heart.
And the biggest riches, far beyond the wealth of nations:
a loving, giving spirit.

"We can do no great things;
only small things with great love."

"If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one. "

"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do.
Peace begins with a smile. "

I struggle with trying to understand my importance, she
never questioned it, just continued to change the world.
I wish for things I don't have, she used everything she had
to do what she could do at the moment.

Peace, love, happiness all these things aren't
somethin
g you wish for. They are things you have to make;
they are the things you
do; they are who you are;
and they are things we help others
achieve.

You begin now. You work with what you have.
And you pass it on.


We can all learn a little from Mother Teresa.
She is someone to think about.

3 comments:

Kate Rowan said...

Hey, Im over from Mingle Monday, and I love your blog. I would love to have you ove, too!
Kate
www.idreamloudly.com

Baby Sister said...

That was beautiful. You're right, we could all learn a little from her. Thank you.

Seester said...

Kendra - I have finally gotten "with it" and decided to log on. You amaze me with your expressive and personal insight. Nice photos, as well!
Aunty Celia