Sunday, August 15, 2010

When I was 18

I always thought that the perfect age was 18. And when we
died we would be 18 in heaven for eternity.
I waited and waited to be 18. It was the age where magical things
happened. All my Barbies were 18 and they got to go to college,
met "real men," drive their own car, and eat sausages and ice cream
for dinner if they wanted to.

First night at college with my first ever roommates. Me= Nerd at the top.

Truth? I didn't know anything when I was 18. I thought it was the
age where you were young enough to still be considered young and fun,
but old enough to be solidly an adult. It was all about freedom and
being carefree.

My roommates and I freshman year "popcorning" someone at 4 in the morning. Me= Right

Drinking too much sparkling cider. Me= far left.

Me at 18 was insecure. I cried a lot and did some crazy things.
And I didn't have money to buy sausage or drive my own car.
But college seemed a lot more exciting when I was 18. I took life by the
horns and tried to shake all the fun out of it.
And yes at 18, I gained the famous "Freshman 15,"
although for me it was 20.

My roomate and I polishing off a 10 lb cake on a very depressing night.
As I got older, I found myself most night with so much homework that "going out" was not an option. I ate too much Ramen and studied too hard. I was a boring college student bent on getting my A's.

But I like myself more now than I did at 18. I know myself a little better.
Maybe I'm a little more mature.

Maybe not.

I do however have more curves to show off and I do eat sausage when I want to. And my car died last week.

I now believe strongly that the perfect age will be 24. I'll have a real job, be a successful, and maybe get rid of my lazy tendencies. And I'll be shaking those horns again, but a little bit more responsible.

Guess I'll tell you how that goes when I get there.

*I lied. That last picture isn't me now. I was 20. It just makes me laugh every time I see it. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Nikki Neurotic said...

Hm, I'm thinking that 30 might be the perfect age for me. It's only two years away for me (yikes!) but something tells me that it'll be a good time.